Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Travel Mostly Complete :)

So I finished all of the US cities, but there are still three countries' worth of cities to do - the UK, Canada and Mexico. I'm having trouble finding a good Mercator projection of North America or of Canada with enough detail to let me match it to US cities. And same thing with Mexico. I haven't even tried the UK yet, but I did get the US done, so I'm going to punt for the time being on the others. It was a LOT of work and I have something even if it's not completely what I want to have done before final release. I'll add bugs (first ones!) to document that I still need to add some places in Europe and finish Canada, Mexico, and the UK.
On the plus side, I did get a good mapping done of the US cities. I ended up missing some state capitals (how that happened I'll never know), but I did have them plus some other one cities in the mix. It's a bit sparse in areas, but it should still work.
I've kind of decided that for the magic school I'm going to simply disallow travel for players who are under 5th level. This will keep them in the same location and prevent it from being a major problem. I'm also going to remove them from duel lists (and remove 5th and higher from their duel lists) when playing. They'll still be able to chat with other people in the area and go on quests, but they won't be able to duel anyone who's not still in school. :) I was only thinking about it because of the whole travel thing. I'm thinking I'm going to do the pruning of player lists on the device rather than limit the select statement on the server side. The fewer restrictions I can place on the server selects the better. :)
So, I'm calling travel complete with some bugs to fix. *sigh* I just need to get a few hours some time in the next few days to finalize those linkages and fix the UK which is like 30 cities. I just can't bring myself to do that right now. :)
Onward and upward, then!