Saturday, June 13, 2009

Weird Happenings

I decided that given the necessity of being able to purchase items inside my application to avoid the cracker/cheater influence that I should upgrade the app to run inside iPhone OS version 3. I ended up having something very strange happen that I can't explain, though, and need to figure out what's happening with it. Here's the issue.
I've created an affinities page that displays how much mastery a player has over a particular element (fire, air, water, earth, void). It should display as shown below.


Instead, what's happening is that it's shifting up what appears to be 20 pixels. I'm wondering if hiding the status bar is somehow impacting the layout of the image in the XIB. It seems weird that this would be something that would be impacted by changing the target from 2.2.1 to 3.0, but it definitely is. Here's what it looks like now.

I'm sure there's some rational explanation for WHY this is happening, but it's a bit surprising (and a little frustrating) that something so simple is now more difficult. *sigh*
I'm actually trying to work on travel today, but stumbled upon this last night when my brain was getting addled from lack of sleep. I thought initially that I'd done something weird like setting the background image location manually in my view controller, but going back to 2.2.1 fixed the problem. If I can just get this sorted out this morning I'll feel loads better about moving forward with travel today.
In the meantime, I'm going to work on travel to get that finalized. I want it off my plate for the time being and then I can deal with why this is shifting up ~20 pixels. :( Wish me luck!