Monday, March 16, 2009

Trivia Game Update

So you might be asking yourself why I've posted up about things like the logo and not at all about the trivia game that I said I was working on creating. The reason is that the trivia game is somewhat stalled while I read through several different books about iPhone development. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been trying to do some things that are not completely supported as iPhone paradigms.
The basic flow of the program is simple - one view moves to another. The thing is that it doesn't use the navigation toolbar (the bar at the top of the view that lets you navigate backwards ("pop" the views)) since that doesn't make sense. But just displaying a view and navigating to another view that doesn't provide direct navigation back isn't something readily supported.
There's a paradigm shift between MFC's doc/view architecture and the iPhone's "kinda" MVC (model-view-controller) model that's just not sinking in quickly for me. That or I understand it but can't seem to get the code to do what I want (which actually may be more likely). As a result, I've been spending a lot of brain share on the other game (which is actually a bit more iPhone paradigm-friendly) I'm developing.
The other major hurdle to the trivia game is, of course, the questions. It's not that I can't think of any - let's get real. :) What's troublesome is the data entry. I'd like to have thousands of questions (if not tens of thousands) and that's a LOT of data entry. Given Taekwondo three times a week, ballet for Cathy two days a week, and ELPs rehearsals two days a week, there's just not a lot of time to do tedious typing. Plus, this second game, which I am posting about but those posts are private right now, has the potential to really make a HUGE splash and actually generate some good revenue. That's my hope at least. Then I can hire Jason Hayes to write the music for it (his music is completely made of awesome). :)
Anyway, I wanted to sort of clarify what was going on there since this is theoretically a blog about development. I will likely start making some of the 2nd game posts (codenamed "Samantha") public since I'll be talking about how I'm making the game, not what the game is or the context or anything. It should be general enough to start making those available for review. :)
Of course if you have any questions, feel free to comment. I hope that it will prove interesting for some people at least.